The OPSEU Provincial Women’s Committee is pleased to invite you to the 2011 Women’s Conference – Taking Root: The Human Rights of Food and Water. We are pleased to be bringing you a conference on a very timely topic – food security and our human rights. We will present a thought-provoking roster of speakers, events and an in-depth workshop on the topic. Our goal is for you to go home with ideas for immediate action in your communities. We hope for a rich mix of diverse backgrounds and points of view among conference participants.
The tentative goals of our conference are as follows:
- Identify how food and water have become human rights issues, locally and globally
- Identify ways to show solidarity with food workers here and elsewhere
- Practice everyday decisions that strengthen food and water security for everyone
- Share inspiring ideas to apply back in our regions, in our roles as caretakers, workers, community and union activists.
- Strengthen members’ ability to critically read food ads and labels
Don’t miss this opportunity to network, learn, share experiences and have some fun. Please join us as we enjoy the camaraderie of our peers from across the province. With your participation, passion and insight we can make this one of the best women’s conferences yet.
Please submit a completed application to the Equity Unit at Head Office by the deadline of July 14, 2011 by midnight. Please note that we will be using an anonymous selection process and will be applying the criteria for selection as set out on pages 4 and 5 of this application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
We look forward to meeting you at the conference! REgistration package can be found on the OPSEU website or by clicking the link below:
Chair, Provincial Women’s Committee
Women’s Conference** November 4-6, 2011